This course is a combination of a video, a preparation session, and one overnight. It is designed for adults who work with any grade level, and will prepare a leader to take her girls to any GSEOK camp facility or other appropriate site. Outdoor skills taught in this course include successful planning of camping trips, care and use of tools and facilities, basic fire building and outdoor cooking, basic outdoor skills, and girl planning. Participants must watch the video and complete a test prior to attending the preparation session. Participation in the overnight, preparatory session, and watching the video are required to successfully complete this course.
GSUSA Girl Scouting 101, GSEOK Troop Leadership, Beyond the Meeting, and a willingness to get dirty! Course prerequisites may be waived for volunteers, with prior authorization from the Volunteer Services department.
Participants share the cost of food and materials.
What to Bring
A standard three-ring binder (1 - 1½ inches), note taking materials, snacks, drinks, and Training Record Card.
A packing list will be distributed prior to the overnight.
- Advanced registration required to provide ample time to review the video prior to the preparation sessions.
- You must have high-speed internet connection, Flash 10, a sound card, and speakers. Please disable your pop-up blocker. If you do not have access to these technology requirements, your council representative or service unit (community) representative can help you complete Camper Training.
- Our secure training area has more information and resources for you. This area is password protected. Simply visit the GSEOK website at www.gseok.org, and click Sign In at the top of the page to log in or register for the website. Once you are logged in, go to Resources→Adult Training or go directly to www.gseok.org/training.
- Choose Camper Training from the Adult Training menu and follow all directions on the page.
- Volunteers with extensive previous camping experience may submit Form #495F Application for Troop Camper Equivalency (available on the GSEOK.org website), requesting a waiver for the (Troop) Camper Training. Only one request per person.